Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Big Five

Growing up you always heard your parents say stuff like "They grow up so fast." But until now I never really thought that much about that expression. But this week our firstborn turned FIVE. I'm still walking around scratching my head trying to figure out just how in the world that happened. It honestly does feel just like yesterday I was looking at Ridge for the first time in the delivery room at Northside Hospital in Atlanta. I can remember every detail about that day-looking at my little boy, all 9 lbs. of him, laying on that little examination table while the nurse checked his vital signs. I recall thinking how beautiful he looked even then. Bill Cosby once said that newborns all look like lizards, but not Ridge. He was beautiful. I could see both Danielle and myself in his eyes. I also remember the aniexty of the sudden shock and realization that I'm now a "father." "How in the world can I raise a child?" I asked myself. "I have no clue how to do this."

But here we are FIVE years down the road and I think D and I have done a pretty decent job. Ridge has grown (even though he is on the smallish side because he's such a picky eater) into a fine little boy, who has a kind heart, a silly and whimsical personality, an amazing imagination, and knows the love of Jesus Christ. A father couldn't ask for anything more than that.

Happy 5th birthday buddy. Daddy loves you.




No comments:

Post a Comment