Monday, August 17, 2009

You Won't Like Me When I'm Angry

I'm continually amazed by the inner workings of the two year-old mind. How is it that one minute Ridge can be the sweetest, most adorable blond-headed toddler on Planet Earth and in the span of five seconds transform into raving lunatic, who throws a tantrum like Rain Man missing an episode of The People's Court?

I'm sure there are books out there that deal with this phenomenon, and I think it's time I start educating myself on dealing with these situations. Some of Ridge's tantrums are so spontaneous and triggered by such mundane occurrences, I sometime wonder if Danielle was in some way exposed to high levels of gamma radiation while she was pregnant with him.

Take for example last night-Ridge and I where playing with his matchbox cars in his room. Ridge was randomly selecting cars out of the box and rolling them down a toy ramp. He was laughing and was just as content as he could be. But may the Lord have mercy on a Daddy who ignorantly rolls the "wrong toy car" down the ramp.

Which apparently is exactly what I did. Big mistake.

This set Ridge off like a bottle rocket on the Fourth of July. He pitched a fit for a good two minutes until I could calm him down. He threw several cars across the room and screamed at me at the top of his lungs, which he politely informed me this was what was doing by yelling "I SCREAM!" every few moments. At least he's thoughtful and informative during his tantrums.

Fortunately for me, I have a few tricks up my sleeve, and I was able to calm the savage beast by making "fart noises" on my arm. Ridge thought this was hysterical and quickly changed back into his more docile David Banner alter-ego.

Anyway, I just hope his little "Hulk Out" moments are just a passing phase he's going through. If this is an example of what the Terrible Twos are like, I'm not looking forward to the next nine months.

No comments:

Post a Comment